To register or for more info:
visit The Trapper Creek Website
Call The trapper Creek at 1-800-354-8637
Many of my students say “I don’t have any big goals, I just want to trail ride.” I don’t think they realize what a big goal that is. To be able to have fun trail riding means that you must have the following prerequisite solidly in place:
- Your horse must be confident in new environments.
- Must have a fabulous hind quarter disengagement.
- Believe that you are a leader even with a large herd of horses that maybe he has never met before. If your horse does not believe this, he will react with the herd rather than on your cue.
- Confident and patient about being tied or hobbled.
- Be able to negotiate obstacles calmly and efficiently.
It all comes down to great horsemanship and an instructor that has experience in not only both these disciplines but also in the ability to teach. Farrah Green lives in both worlds and understands your challenges very well. She is able to not only communicate and teach horses but is also a professional in instructing people. Sign up and experience riding in a traditional western fashion, with the highest level of excellence!
As a rider, you also have to have certain skills. You must be able to do the following:
- Know when the problem is to big to solve and get off.
- Choose the right people to ride with and the right trail for your horse.
- Know how to put your relationship with your horse first before the view, pressure from friends, and THE PLAN.
- Have an independent seat that can zig and zag with your horse.
- Know how to present obstacles to your horse that will improve your relationship rather than damage it.
Competitive Trail Riding is trail riding with a goal. Obstacles such as gates, water, sideways logs and back throughs are set up over the course of a trail ride. Horses and riders are judged on their relationship and horsemanship at these obstacles.
This course will teach you how to teach your horse these skills, or take an experienced horse and feel what it feels like to enjoy yourself on a ride because you have the confidence to deal with the unpredictable. All of this while exploring the breath taking views of the Wyoming wilderness!
Go to retreats menu